Monday, April 28, 2008

April Showers / May Flowers

"Beware the barrenness of a busy life." - Socrates

For some reason, April has proven to be a downpour of events demanding attention, detail, most importantly, time. Work commitments, family commitments, sports commitments, governmental (read "tax") commitments, financial commitments, etc. Those who know me know the fiendish schedule I have kept (poorly, I might add) since mid March that has now wound its way through April. Such a schedule has a major impact on all of your relationships and time commitments. And April saw me taking a vacation from my blog, as well, to focus on other things equally important to me.

This morning, as I was reading Brian Cosby's blog on the Sabbath rest, I came to realize that rest is something we disparately need, and for me in particular something I really, really, really desire. It alleviated my personal guilt for not getting everything done, and heightened my longing for the rest which only God can give.

What does the worker gain from his toil? I have seen the burden God has laid on men. He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him. Ecc. 3:9-14

May, then, shall be a time to share a drink with my friends, a laugh with my wife, a catch with my kids, encouragement with my family, support to my pastor, and love and contentment for the life which God has blessed me with.

With the downpour of spurious activity in April it is my prayer that May will see the flowers of rest.

4theluv

No comments: